Using location in Smaato, XNA 0.3

Oct 4, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Hello,

I'm currently using adrotator xna 0.3 and I want to know if there is any way to give the component the location without using SOMAWP7.SomaAd directly?

I know it's pretty easy to use SOMAWP7.SomaAd directly but if there would be a global location function it would be easier to use without the need to change the whole source.

If there is no function for that, I'm wondering why my app need location service? Only because of the smomawp7.dll which is location aware? I think it's useless if the component it self have no functions for that and no functionality for location at all but my App need the right to access the location api?

But maybe I'm wrong and there is such a functionality I don't find.

Oct 4, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Hi,

In the current, v1 version we don't have location support - this would require for us to ship two different components, one with location support and one without as this affects application capabilities. This is something we'll be addressing in the next major version, v2 of the component which we're starting to work on.

As for how location capabilties are added to your app: during submission your xap code is being scanned and if any namespaces are referenced that are in relation to location, the location capability is added. The smomawp7.dll probably references this namespaces, so if you add a reference to this component in your project this capability will be detected and added even if you never invoke that code in your application. (and this leads to the reason we would need to release a version of AdRotator with references to location APIs and one without)

Oct 4, 2012 at 7:13 PM
gergelyorosz wrote:

As for how location capabilties are added to your app: during submission your xap code is being scanned and if any namespaces are referenced that are in relation to location, the location capability is added. The smomawp7.dll probably references this namespaces, so if you add a reference to this component in your project this capability will be detected and added even if you never invoke that code in your application. (and this leads to the reason we would need to release a version of AdRotator with references to location APIs and one without)

I knew that. But the question is, can I use the Location functionality of smomawp7? I mean I only have to set the current GPS location to somaAd.Gps or not?

Oct 4, 2012 at 11:09 PM

If you read the latest tutorial on V0.3 which links to the 1.2 Silverlight article" that Smaato's component, even though it has a non-location aware version requires location services enabled.  We have logged this with Smaato.

The only difference is that the non loation version doesn't hook up to the GPS internally, we dont have to do anthing in AdRotator for it

With 0.3/1.2 we now offer both location aware and non-location aware version of AdRotator