Ads being stretched in landscape mode

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:51 PM
Edited Oct 10, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Hey all,

Was having an issue with Inneractive and MobFox ads coming thru at 800x80 rather than 480x80. 

I had set adwidth and height properties to 480x80 and the problem persists.

I've just discovered I think it has to do with orientation. 

Using the sample, when in portrait they come thru fine, but flipping to landscape they get stretched to 800x80.  And my game runs in landscape mode.

Any ideas on a fix?

Coordinator
Oct 11, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Ahh, I see your issue now.  That was one of the design decisions I made when doing it originally, it will expand the ad to fit the width of the screen.

It's all in the "UpdateBanner" function in the components for the providers, if you want you can download the source and alter it yourself you can to recognise the adwidth and height if one has been set.

I'll try to get round to patching it as soon as I can.

Oct 16, 2012 at 8:56 PM

A patch would be MUCH appreciated.  

I'm not the best programmer so not sure how to go about making the edits and then making the dll file.... :(

Nov 5, 2012 at 8:42 PM

I was wondering if this was ever addressed. I have the same problem in my game. I specify a width, but some ads ignore the setting.

Coordinator
Nov 5, 2012 at 11:46 PM

It's still on the issue list at the moment, not had much time to look at it at the moment.

I'll see if I can get some time this week to do an unofficial patch but it's fairly low priority at the mo.

Nov 6, 2012 at 1:52 PM

I pulled the source code and did a quick fix. Seemed pretty easy to adjust it.

Coordinator
Nov 6, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Uploaded 0.4 release today which includes a fix for this issue.

Was intending to just post a patch fix for this one issue but we found a critical issue with PubCenter which prompted a full release.

Any problems, let me know

Nov 6, 2012 at 4:49 PM
Darkside wrote:

Uploaded 0.4 release today which includes a fix for this issue.

Was intending to just post a patch fix for this one issue but we found a critical issue with PubCenter which prompted a full release.

Any problems, let me know

Sorry man, but your update could not fix the problem for offline ads...

But for Smaato now is working good. BTW I just realized that if you set to get the Settings from local AND from internet it just duplicate some of my ads...

Anyway thanks for the job!

Coordinator
Nov 6, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Will look into the offline ads situation, I did check but it was already adhering to the set adwidth and adheight as far as I could see.

Which ad provider are you noticing the duplication with?, as I noted in the release notes that only Pubcenter was exhibiting that effect and it seems to be a pubcenter issue, no reason I can think of why setting both settings would have an alternate effect as we only manage 1 setting internally, but I will check

Nov 6, 2012 at 7:18 PM

I noticed the problem with both Smaato and the offline Ads. Aduplex was working fine.

I really dont know but I think I will get the source to analyze it too,  I spent almost 2 hours looking for a mistake in my code (I am using COCOS2D-x for XNA, so things are not so simple :P) and when I just removed to get the Settings from the web it worked (and I was surprised a lot).

I even have tried to change the adsize (image by it self) but it doesn't make any diference...

Nov 6, 2012 at 7:59 PM
Edited Nov 6, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Trying to find in Source code but seems right....

Was working on MonoGame V1, it was totally different...

Coordinator
Nov 7, 2012 at 1:49 PM

I believe the layout of the current MonoGame is is a bit different, not personally looked at that branch as it's only being maintained by the MonoGameTeam at the moment.

Hoping to include it more in V2

Will have a look when i get a chance to replicate the above issue, the duplicate Ads may be a result of late loading with the pubcenter control and possibly having multiple Game components added (but from memory, pubcenter it'self controls this.

As for the stretching I've not seen any reason why a local house ad would stretch unless your image is already full screen?, or you are not checking / changing the AdWidth / AdHeght and position correctly when the orientation event is fired (I left the orientation code in this time with the example in source)