Suggestion - No location service version

Jul 7, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Hello,

I may have missed something but I noticed that the Location capability was always required when using Ad Rotator, after a small investigation it is for location aware advertising network such as pubcenter or smaato.

Could it be possible to create a new version of the component without location service requirement (for both XNA and silverlight) or at least introduce a define to build without Geolocation capabilities.

The reason is that marketplace will automatically notify the user that the application is requesting his position when he will install it, and this may turn off many users. 

Coordinator
Jul 8, 2012 at 8:57 AM

It was more of a recent addition as the updated PubCenter lib seems to require it.

Will do some tests and see if we can try and have a separate edition without location services, if not V2 should certainly help with that

Sep 12, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Hi there! Any news? There are any option now for this issue?

Coordinator
Sep 12, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Sorry no updates as yet, all I can say is we are looking into it for an update or for V2.

If we have the bandwidth we'll put something out.

Sep 13, 2012 at 8:54 PM

so I just had an app fail certification for 2.7.2 and 2.7.3 because the ad rotator causes location services to be detected.  2.7.3 says I need to add a mechanism to enable/disable the app's access to the use of location services.

But as far as I can tell there's no way to do this?  I can add a mechanism easily enough, but there doesn't seem to be a property on the ad rotator that can turn this off. 

Unless I'm missing something, this means that any app with the ad rotator won't be able to pass certification.

Incidentally I'm only using pubCenter and adDuplex, and those are the only references from the package that I'm including in addition to the ad rotator itself.  Removing the ad rotator subsequently removes the location capability in the marketplace test kit - I've left the references to the pubCenter and adDuplex dll's in, with no location capability detected.

So I'm just using pubCenter for now, again with no "automatic/forced" location capability...

Coordinator
Sep 14, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Sorry were not at the stage you need to be right now, I can suggest two things:

• Download the source, update the controls you want to use to the None location aware DLLS and comment out the location code in the pubcenter control
  • Alternatively, enable the "Location" capability in your app for submission

As a rule you should always run the test kit locally and enable those capabilities it suggests or alter your code so it doesn't need capabilities you dont want.

Sorry cannot be as much help at the moment, Gergely and I have little time at the moment for updates but we are doing what we can.  Hopefully we can get the next update soon (which will likely be the last for V1) while we work towards a more stable V2

Sep 14, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Ok - unfortunately enabling the location capability in my app wouldn't work (I think) - that was my first thought as it seemed like the quickest solution.  BUT - if I do so, I'm also required to give the user the ability to turn it off in my app.

So, when the user taps the toggle button (or whatever) to turn it off, what action can my code take to do so?  I believe nothing?  The Ad Rotator in its current form just uses it, with no ability for me to do anything about it?  (still feel like maybe I'm missing something important)

So that leaves me with modifying the source, which I suppose I will take a shot at.

Coordinator
Sep 14, 2012 at 1:00 PM

As far as I'm aware there is no requirement to "turn off" location services if it is enabled in an app.

I've several apps registered with the marketplace using this version of AdRotator with the location services capability enabled and i've not needed to provide an "off" feature.

In fact the only one I'm aware of where you do have to provide an "off" for is audio.