GPS Location

Developer
Feb 12, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Hi,

I added some code to manage GPS location and pass it along to the ads providers (except AdDuplex which does not support it).

If you are interested I can submit for review and add it to the library.

This would be a primer for me to participate in CodePlex, is there a code review procedure I can follow?

Thanks!

Mauro Giusti

Coordinator
Feb 12, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Hi,

I deliberately didn't add any GPS location to the solution so far because that means that that whenever referring the component, the location capability has to be enabled as well which is not desirable for many apps. However I think the way forward would be to have two versions of the library - one supporting GPS location and one not so that developers can choose if they're okay with adding the extra capability in return for better targeting.

I'll add you as contributor and if you add the code snipplets I'll review and package them accordingly, creating a separate project. You can either check the code in directly or can send me a patch - Codeplex is based on SVN so there's no real proper review procedure.

Gergely

Developer
Feb 13, 2012 at 4:47 AM

I will send you the code snippet.

The idea is to expose a property of the control:

GeoLocationAdsEnabled

If the property is true, then we enable geo location and pass it to the control which support it.

Now, the WP7AdRotator component does not include the Capability ID_CAP_LOCATION, the hosting app needs to add it to enable the Gps to return the data at runtime.

<Capability Name="ID_CAP_LOCATION" />

We could add a diagnostic message if the user does not add it, like in the example here: http://www.nickharris.net/2011/01/check-if-a-capability-is-enabled-in-wmappmanifest-on-windows-phone-7/

Developer
Feb 13, 2012 at 6:44 AM

Ok, I created a shelveset named "Geo Location Enable WP7 Ad Rotator".

Please review and let me know your feedback so I can check it in.

Note that this shelveset also fixes a bug which currently causes InnerActive ads not to be displayed (there is no IsInnerActiveValid property and is not checked in IsAdTypeValid.